regular joes

in my studies this week, i have discovered that the disciples were just like you and me, a bunch of regular old joes. i have always known that, but never really looked at why. peter, andrew, james, and john were fishermen. levi/matthew was a tax collector. philip was from the same town as peter and andrew (bethsaida) and philip in effect recruted nathanael who was later called by Jesus when he came to see him. (their calling is recorded in john 1:43-51)

anyway, what i am trying to say is that there was nothing very different about that group of 12 guys. they had jobs and families. we have jobs and families. the cool part, we don't have to leave ours to devote ourselves to following Christ. i pray that you will be encouraged as i was and please if you need something good to read, read matthew 1o (the whole chapter). it is what Jesus told His disciples before He sent them out to do His work! think about this during your conversations with others, "And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." so may you be encouraged as a disciple of Christ to live as one who carries his cross, for God and His glory is infinitely more important than anything else we know!

1 comment:

melissa o said...

Ames, you are the ultimate in inspiration for me. Your passion and love for God and His teaching never fails to make me feel like a loser for not being able to find more than 5 minutes a day for God, and that is not a bad thing for me to feel that way.

Thank you...

PS - I saw a couple of cheerleaders this morning at the grocery store (don't know WHY they were dressed up TODAY, but hey...) and I thought of you and I and all those fun times...