Trust

The past two weeks, the kids have had swimming lessons at Lorin Farr Pool. I have also been in the water because B is still in the "Parent/Child" class. I have thought a lot about how his swim lessons, in particular, relate to our relationship with Christ. Note: imperfect analogy coming up...B is not a fan of the water. He doesn't like putting his face in - you know, the whole not being able to breathe thing. He also hates when his feet can't touch the bottom; so we spend a lot of class time on the stairs trying to get him to branch out and try. No matter how many times I hold him and tell him, "I'm not going to drop you or let go," he freaks out when we mention back or front float. Now, he has made great progress and will eventually float on his back in silence, as long as the end result is him getting back to the stairs where he is comfortable. Today, it hit me. How many times have I been put in a situation by God and been uncomfortable and unsure so I "swim" back to my comfort zone - where I am in control - as quickly as possible? B doesn't understand that I'm trying to help him learn to someday swim on his own. He knows that being in the water when he can't touch the bottom is not safe and he could drown. He also knows that I love him. So why can't he loosen his death grip on my arms and let me show him how to float in deep water (or 12 in. of water for that matter.)

There is another girl in his class who is about the same age. She doesn't know how to back-float yet but she does know how to hold her breath under water. She spent the majority of the class today jumping off the stairs and swimming to her mom who was maybe two feet away. She would do it over and over and her mom was there to bring her head above water every time. Yet, she is afraid to turn over and float on her back, same as B. The unknown skill that could save their lives is terrifying to them. I'm sure some day they'll get it but I'm finished living my life that way and I don't want my children to follow in a life without trust.

I want to jump into the arms of Christ, knowing and believing He is all I need.

Hebrews 13:5-6 "Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say,

“The Lord is my helper;
    I will not fear;
what can man do to me?”

I know that letting God control my life is far greater than when I am controlling my life. Yet I still struggle, almost daily, to surrender my will. I have so much more knowledge about what joy B can have in the water if he would only leave the stairs but he can't see it. I want to trust that I will experience joy in Christ when I am living the full life he intended for me. It may be full of trials or uncomfortable situations or even great hardships but I pray God will get the glory in all situations. I want to be known for my trust in the Savior who rescued me from sin and death. "What can man do to me?"


1 comment:

Sarah said...

I have been thinking of this issue of trust lately too. I keep thinking, "why does living this way not feel 'normal' yet?" and then I remember that following Jesus is not 'normal'...it's opposite of how the world says to live. So here's to the abnormal! ;)